Sunday, September 09, 2007

Two Weeks Down

Two weeks of non-stop action. I come home and my SI joint is screaming, but what the hell, right?

I can't stop crowing about how much I love my new campus. I'm constantly astounded by the difference it makes when a student's parents are actively involved in their children's education. My school is, like the previous campus, a Title I school, which means it serves a large population of students in poverty. It's also a school populated overwhelmingly by racial minorities. But even amongst the poorest kids, there isn't the same feeling of despair and desperation.

And my kids are smart. I have almost 1/3 gifted/talented kids in my class, and those are just the ones who have been identified officially. But, aside from that, they are all very aware, inquisitive, and alert. They ask a lot of questions. Pertinent questions. They notice everything. I have had to reset my expectations completely.

This year is going to rock. I am so incredibly happy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Venha Futuro said...

It's great to hear that you're so happy. I hope things get even better as the year progresses.

What makes this new school so different? Are the parents actively involved because the principal and teachers take the time to involve them, or is there a different culture in the neighborhood, or what? I'm very curious to know what the roots of the differences are.

9/13/2007 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home