Thursday, August 31, 2006

This is not a drill.

I just got home after the worst day since school began. Yesterday was an in-service on how to enact a "shelter in place" in case of danger or disaster. So of course, when they announced over the intercom that we were sheltering in place until further notice, I thought it was a drill. Nope. The teacher I was team-teaching with got a call from the police (she's an ex-cop) asking what was going on at our school. Not a drill, in other words. Turns out, some fifth graders saw a man with a gun and he brandished it at them. We were under lockdown for an hour. So much for reading class.

The day was also shitty due to some personnel type issues and special education, but I don't want to talk about it.

I guess this means I am officially an inner-city teacher, when I've gone through my first real lockdown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home